VU UNDERGRAD SHADOWING
This information is intended ONLY for current Vanderbilt University UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS shadowing at a VUMC location. (If shadowing elsewhere, the HPAO is not involved.)
There are two ways for CURRENT VANDERBILT UNDERGRADUATES to shadow at VUMC. One is through the AED Pre-health Society formal Shadowing Registration. It is offered at the beginning of each fall and spring semester. AED maintains a list of many physicians who have agreed to be shadowed during the semester. Our office works with AED to ensure that students meet all of the requirements in order to be assigned a physician to shadow. Announcements about the Shadowing Registration dates will be sent to the ListServ. (Email the HPAO if you need to be added - firstname.lastname@example.org.)
The second way to shadow at VUMC is for a VU undergrad to locate a Vanderbilt physician on your own.
If you are participating in the AED Shadowing Registration, you bring all completed paperwork to Registration. If you are finding a physician on your own, please bring your paperwork to the HPAO for review/approval during a scheduled visit or during the walk-in hours listed on our homepage. (Please allow up to 15 minutes for review.You may NOT simply drop off paperwork.)
ALL BADGES ISSUED MUST BE RETURNED TO THE HPAO ON OR BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE. Do NOT return badges to the badge office. If a badge is not returned to the HPAO by the deadline, the student may be prohibited from future shadowing at Vanderbilt and/or a HOLD may be placed on the student’s record.
***** The following requirements are for ALL Vanderbilt University undergrads: *****
1) Background Check
2) Shadowing Agreement
3) Health Screening Form (including updated TB Tests  and Flu Vaccination)
4) Shadowing Information Form
5) Photocopy/Picture of Insurance Card (front and back) FOR US TO KEEP
6) Observational Experience Orientation & Safety Quiz Certificate (Score of 100)
7) Confidentiality Agreement
NOTE: Additional steps are required if shadowing in the Operating Room (More Info below)
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE ***
If your shadowing paperwork was approved by the HPAO during Fall 2017, and you would like to continue shadowing during Spring 2018, you only need to provide an updated Shadowing Agreement, 2018 Health Insurance Card (printout/copy - card front and back), and Shadowing Information Sheet. (We will NOT need the Health Screening Form, Background Check, Safety Quiz, and Confidentiality Agreement. We will already have those on file for the academic year.)
1) BACKGROUND CHECK
(Must be within past 12 mths. The vendor fee is $36 and the background check is good for 1 year.)
Click here to request a background check.
2) SIGNED SHADOWING AGREEMENT
Click here for Agreement
3) HEALTH SCREENING FORM
All 6 Sections must be initialed by your Healthcare Provider.
All corresponding dates must be filled in by your Healthcare Provider.
(We will NOT accept "See Attached")
The bottom of the form must be SIGNED by the Healthcare Provider.
NOTE THESE REQUIREMENTS:
- 2 Negative TB Skin Tests -
TB testing is required. The 1st test must be within 12 months of the start date, and the 2nd test must be within 3 months of the start date.
Negative IGRA Blood Test within 3 months of the start date
Clear chest x-ray within 6 months of the start date
- Flu Vaccine must be for CURRENT academic year (Dated July 1 or later)
- Proof of 2 Varicella/Chickenpox shots OR bloodwork/titer PROOF of immunity (a history of the disease is insufficient proof)
Click here for Form (No other health forms are accepted.)
4) SHADOWING INFORMATION FORM
(If you are registering at the AED Shadowing Registration, add the physician info AT registration.)
Click here for Form
5) PROOF OF INSURANCE
Provide a paper copy of your Health Insurance Card (FRONT AND BACK ) for us to retain in our files.
(We will NOT make a copy for you!)
6) QUIZ SCORE CERTIFICATE from completed Safety Orientation Quiz
(With Score of 100%)
Click here to Review the Safety and Confidentiality Presentation
Click here to Take the Safety Orientation Quiz
7) SIGNED CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Click here for Agreement
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SHADOWING IN THE OPERATING ROOM (OR)
- ONLY Juniors and Seniors will be approved to shadowing in an OR
- These are to be Observational Experiences ONLY. Students are “observing” ONLY (same as shadowing in the clinics, etc). Students should not be “scrubbing in” and do NOT need a scrub class.
ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR SHADOWING IN THE CHILDRENS HOSPITAL OR:
NOTE: Observation in the Children's Hospital OR will be SUSPENDED during EPIC implementation from Oct 1 - Dec 1, 2017
- The Surgeon must approve EACH date of surgery for observation
- The student must contact Maria Sullivan (email@example.com) in order to receive OR Training.
- After the OR Training is completed, Maria Sullivan will submit the permission form to the Children's Hospital Surgeon-in-Chief for his final approval
- Maria Sullivan will let the student know where to meet her the morning of surgery
ADDITIONAL STEPS FOR SHADOWING IN THE ADULT OR:
- View this Perioperative "Visitor Guide to the OR" Presentation
"Adult OR Permission Form"
(signed by physician) must be faxed (by the student or surgeon's Administrative Assistant) to the Supporting Perioperative & Procedural Services Team. (The HPAO does NOT receive this OR document.)
- Send an send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 1 week prior to shadowing and include:
- Student Name
- Scrubs Size
- Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number (or unique 4 digit number) to be used as a Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Start date of Shadowing Period
- End Date of Shadowing Period (If the student is shadowing for the entire semester, the end date would be the last day of the semester.)
Linen Services will reply giving the student a unique User ID to be used in conjunction with the 4 digit PIN.
Linen Services will have the student’s scrubs available at the scrub machines located in the 4th floor locker rooms. Students will have 2 revolving “credits” for the machines. Scrubs are tracked by student ID and must be returned at the deposit machines in a timely manner.