Kao wei Chua
Research Area: Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience
perceptual expertise, learned attention, holistic processing
Chua, K-W., Gauthier, I (in preparation). The Vanderbilt Holistic Processing Test for Novel Objects.
Chua, K-W., Bub, D., Masson, M., Gauthier, I (submitted). Grasp Actions Depend on What You Know and How You Attend.
Chua, K-W., & Gauthier, I. (2016). Category-specific learned attentional bias to object parts. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 78(1), 44-51.
Chua, K-W., Richler, J. J., & Gauthier, I. (2015). Holistic processing from learned attention to parts. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 144(4), 723-729.
Chua, K-W., Richler, J. J., & Gauthier, I. (2014). Becoming a Lunari or Taiyo Expert: Learned Attention to Parts Drives Holistic Processing of Faces. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 1174-1182 .
Chua, K-W., Bub, D. N., Masson, M. E., & Gauthier, I. (2013). Long-term memory representations for volumetric grasps. Visual Cognition, 21(6), 682-685.
Chua, K-W., & Gauthier, I. (2013). Lunari Face Expertise: Holistic processing depends on experience with diagnostic parts. Journal of Vision, 13(9), 93-93.
Chen Z, Chua CC, Gao J, Chua K-W., Ho Y-S, Hamdy RC, Chua BHL (2009). Prevention of Ischemia/Reperfusion-induced Cardiac Apoptosis and Injury by Melatonin is Independent of Glutathione Peroxidase 1. J. Pineal Res. 46 (2): 235-41.
Xu X, Chua CC, Gao J, Chua K-W., Wang H, Hamdy RC, Chua BHL (2008). Neuroprotective Effect of Humanin on Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury is Mediated by a PI3K/Akt Pathway. Brain Res. 1227: 12-8.
Chua CC, Chua K-W., Gao J, Hamdy RC, Chua BHL (2008). Necroptosis is Involved in Cardiac Cell Death Induced by Chemical Ischemia. FASEB J. 22: 1238.
• University of Georgia Charter Scholarship (2004-2008)
• University of Georgia Honors Program (2004 – 2008)
• Presidential Scholar 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008
• University of Vanderbilt Graduate Award ($6000/year from 2011-2016)
• University of Vanderbilt Summer Research Award ($1800 to conduct research at the University of Victoria), 2012
• 2011 National Science Foundation – Honorable Mention
• 2012 National Science Foundation Fellow – August 2012 – August 2015