Faculty Unionization Information
The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 205 filed a petition with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) Feb. 16, 2017, seeking an election to represent a fragmented group of non-tenure track faculty. The SEIU seeks to represent all non-tenure track faculty at the College of Arts and Science, the Blair School, the Divinity School, the Graduate School and Peabody College who currently teach at least one class and who hold no administrative roles.
The university fully supports the right of its adjunct and part-time non-tenure track faculty to vote on whether they wish to be represented by the SEIU. However, the university believes the proposed bargaining unit is problematic because as currently constructed, the group does not share an appropriate community of interest and it includes faculty that share in the management and governance of the university.
This website will continue to be updated throughout this process with information about the election and the new petition.
- 04/14/17 - Message from Vice Provost John Geer
- 04/10/17 - Message from the Provost
- 04/06/17 - Message from Vice Provost John Geer
- 04/05/17 - Message from Vice Provost John Geer
- 03/29/17 - Message from the Provost: New petition filed
- 03/29/17 - Message from the Provost: Settlement reached with union
- 03/23/17 - Message from the Provost
- 03/21/17 - Message from the Provost
- 03/17/17: MyVU: Faculty Senate town hall to discuss faculty unionization March 30
- 03/17/17 - Message from the Provost
- 03/14/17 - Message from the Provost
- 03/10/17 - Message from the Provost
- 03/06/17: MyVU: University seeks appropriate bargaining unit for non-tenured track faculty
- 03/02/2017 - Message from the Provost
- 02/28/2017 - Message from the Provost
- 02/17/2017 - Message from the Provost