CSB Research Faculty Profile: Elwood Mullins

Posted by on Friday, June 21, 2024 in News.

Elwood Mullins, PhD Research Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences

Elwood Mullins, PhD, is a research assistant professor in the Biological Sciences department and currently works in the Eichman lab. While he understands the key to a cohesive lab environment, his work-life balance might be a little off.

Meet Elwood …

What project are you currently working on? I’m currently studying eukaryotic DNA replication, specifically how the DNA polymerase α–primase complex generates chimeric RNA-DNA primers to initiate DNA synthesis. These chimeric primers are produced through coordinated RNA and DNA synthesis activities within the complex, providing primers of defined length and composition, necessary for replication fidelity and genome stability. How these activities are coordinated and regulated has long remained unclear.

What are the primary tools and techniques you use to answer these questions? My background is in X-ray crystallography. However, when I started working on DNA polymerase α–primase, which is relatively large and extremely flexible, I transitioned to cryo-EM. I also use a variety of in vitro biochemical and biophysical techniques to measure enzymatic activity, substrate binding, and protein-protein interaction.

What was your path to this position? What is your favorite part of being research faculty within a lab? I’ve always been interested in structure-function relationships, which I’ve approached from the perspective of a chemist. During my career, I’ve studied these relationships in increasingly elaborate systems, beginning with the catalytic interaction of small molecules and culminating in the synthesis and modification of nucleic acids by multiprotein complexes.

My favorite part of being a research professor is still being able to work at the bench, while also being able to design research projects and mentor students and postdocs.

What do you think is the key to a cohesive lab environment? I think the key to a cohesive lab environment is communication. We try to have a group lunch every week. I would argue these “Margarita Mondays”, which are never on Monday but always involve margaritas, are critical to this end.

What are some fun activities you like to do outside of lab? People do fun activities outside of lab?

You must be logged in to post a comment