General Guidelines for Use
University departments, schools, and registered student organizations can use the official Vanderbilt University logo on products and services. For more information, please visit the Graphic Standards website at vanderbilt.edu/communications/styleguide. Please note, it is not permissible to create logos for your group or organization. The only approved logos are those found on the Graphic Standards website. For athletics, club sports and athletic related events, the official athletic mark can be found at vanderbilt.edu/communications/styleguide/athletics/
Vanderbilt University marks should be used within the following guidelines:
- The logos should not be altered in any fashion.
- The logos should have the proper trademark symbols (®, ™).
- The logos should not be used in association with a private business or used in a manner that might associate or imply endorsements by the University with an outside business or product without proper authorization from the University.
- Employees may not use the University's names or its logos in any manner, which suggest or imply University support or endorsement of any movement, a candidate for public office, or an activity or program not officially sponsored by the University.
- Vanderbilt University will not approve the use of its name or marks to promote the following products: tobacco, controlled substances, sexually oriented products, alcohol, religious products, bathroom articles, or games of chance.
- The University will not approve the use of its name or marks with: text or graphics that are judged to be sexually suggestive, denigrating language by any group including another college or university, items that infringe on the marks of other trademark owners on products or services, or endorsement of political candidates.
- The University will not license products that: do not meet minimum standards of quality and/or taste, are judged to be dangerous or carry high product liability risks.
University and Medical Center Departments and organizations who would like to place orders for apparel, promotional products, uniforms and awards, must use vendors licensed by Vanderbilt University through our licensing agency - IMG College Licensing - (IMG) . For more information about IMG, please visit www.imgcollegelicensing.com.
Click here for a chart on the ordering and payment process.
When contacting a licensed vendor to place an order, please provide the following information to the vendor so they can provide you an estimated quote:
- Department/Organization name
- Contact information
- When you need the product by
- What products you’re interested in
- Provide information on what you want on the product
- Is the product for Internal Use/Promotional Giveaways, Fundraising/Suggested Donation, Purchase for Resale, Distribution to VU//VUMC Personnel for Reimbursement of the Cost of the Item, Payment with non-VU/VUMC Funds
Please note: Uniforms are specific, distinctive, conforming articles of attire required by VU/VUMC for particular groups of employees in the performance of assigned job duties. If you are placing an order for a uniform and it is required for your work, please click here for a list of departments required to purchase from select vendors. If your department is not listed here, you can order from any licensed Vanderbilt vendor. For a list of licensed vendors click here.
After you have chosen the licensed vendor you would like to produce your order, complete the following steps to place your order:
1. Complete the Merchandise Request form.
- We recommend that you complete this form four weeks before the desired date to allow for necessary approvals, vendor production, and shipment.
- Indicate on the form whether the merchandise is Internal Use/Promotional Giveaway, Fundraiser/Suggested Donation, Purchase for Resale, Distribution to VU/VUMC personnel for reimbursement of the cost of the item or, payment with non VU/VUMC funds.
- Provide details about your order. For example, if the order is a reorder, where will you sell the item, how you will offer the item, how many you want to order, etc.
- Brand Engagement and Governance will review the information provided on the Merchandise Request form and reply to you and the licensed vendor.
- Items that are "Internal Use/Promotional Giveaways", or given in exchange for a "Suggested Donation", are sales tax exempt. Items that are "Purchase for Resale", must use the Resale Certificate. "Items Sold for Distribution to VU/VUMC Personnel for Reimbursement of the Cost of the Item", and "Payment with non VU/VUMC Funds", must include Tennessee State Sales Tax in your order. Items ordered as "Purchase for Resale," "Distribution to VU/VUMC Personnel for Reimbursement of the Cost of the Item", and "Payment with non VU/VUMC Funds" will include the University's royalty rate. Exception: Items purchased for work at VU/VUMC (even if not mandatory) will NOT include royalties, but sales tax will still apply.
2. Use a Licensed Vanderbilt vendor to design and place your order.
- Work with the licensed vendor to design your order.
- Once approved by your department/organization the licensed vendor will submit your design to Brand Engagement and Governance.
- Please note that Brand Engagement and Governance is approving the use of VU/VUMC logos and designs only. Third party logos and graphics must be approved separately by the Trademark Owner.
- Once the design is approved by Brand Engagement and Governance, production can begin.
Please note: When Brand Engagement and Governance approves your Merchandise Order Request, the licensed vendor will send you the final quote. At this time, you or the authorized individual in youir department can create a requisition in e-Procurement and attach the final quote. Please see P2P Process Overview for more information. If the licensed vendor is one your department uses often, please see Blanket Purchase Order for more information on this process.
Vanderbilt logos used on official University websites such as University departments, approved student groups, and schools, are permitted as long as the logos are used correctly. All University requests for the use of the official University logo should be made to Lacy Paschal, Executive Director of Digital Strategy and Development. Websites not affiliated with the University require authorization from the Office of Brand Engagement and Governance.
When University marks are used in publications (e.g., brochures, pamphlets, newsletters), which are distributed on or off campus, designs will need to be approved by the Marketing Solutions Office. Please send your requests to Daniel Dubois, Executive Director of Marketing Solutions.