Quality Early Childhood Education and Care
Decades of research have provided us with a clear understanding of the major components of a quality early childhood education programs:
- Small group size
- Low child-to-teacher ratios
- Trained, qualified, and consistent staff
- Good relationships and communication between home and school
A child’s involvement in a quality early childhood education program can have a tremendous impact on their success in school and in life.
When choosing an early childhood education program for your child there are several things you need to observe:
- Is the facility clean? Is the equipment in good repair?
- Are meals and snacks nutritious?
- Are the children read to each day? Are they actively involved in learning through play?
- Do the children have opportunities to make choices?
- Does the staff seem knowledgeable about child development and developmentally-appropriate practice?
- Do the children and adults seem to interact well?
- Do the children seem happy?
- Most importantly…Do you feel welcome in the center and in the classroom?
Keywords: Early Childhood Education, Quality Care