Financial and Tax Considerations
While you are traveling abroad it is important to have multiple ways to accessing your funds such as cash, traveler's checks, ATM cards, and credit cards. Below is information on ATM locations, currency conversions, traveler's checks, and tax liabilities. An individual's home financial institution, personal accountant, and the Vanderbilt Human Resources Office are other resources that should be consulted regarding specific questions.
- ATM Locators
- Currency & Salary Converters
- Traveler's Cheques
- Tax Liabilities
- International Funds Transfer
- FXConverter (Foreign Exchange Currency Converter)
- Universal Currency Converter
- International Salary Converter
Traveler's cheques can be obtained before leaving the United States from a local bank, or in some cases through a local travel agency. Beware of 'hidden' fees and charges. American Express traveler's cheques can be cashed at American Express offices worldwide without a transaction fee, and this same principle applies to those issued and cashed by other institutions. In general, to avoid steep fees or poor exchange rate conversions, traveler's cheques drawn on specific banks should be cashed at a branch of the issuing bank or one of its affiliated institutions abroad.
Please consult with a tax advisor or accounting professional about any tax liabilities that could affect you as a result of off-campus research or international business travel. Here are a few additional resources:
- Western Union. When you want to send cash, payments or a telegram, Western Union can assist you. They help you online, by phone or at any of their 245,000+ Western Union® Agent locations worldwide.
- PayPal. Send money to anyone with an email address in 55 countries and regions, and use PayPal for (international) shopping without sharing financial information. 100% protection against unauthorized payments sent from your account guaranteed.
- HTH Worldwide Bank. HTH Worldwide Bank is a full service financial portal with banking services provided by The Bancorp Bank. The Bancorp Bank is a full-service, FDIC insured institution that offers a wide range of personal and business financial services nationwide.