Skip to Content

Vanderbilt International Office

Vanderbilt International Office

Home > Resources > Driving Outside of the United States

Driving Outside of the United States

Driver Licenses or Permits

Many countries do not recognize a U.S. driver's license, although most countries will accept an international driver's permit that can be obtained from your local automobile association before your trip.

Safety Considerations

Auto Insurance

U.S. auto insurance typically does NOT cover your vehicle abroad, although it may cover you in Canada and Mexico. It is very important to check with your automobile insurance agency or personal agent to request specific details. Even if your policy is valid outside the U.S., it may not meet the minimum requirements set by the country in which you will be driving. It is both possible and recommended that individuals purchase auto insurance abroad or international auto insurance to meet specific needs.