Faculty Innovation Program
In Spring 2014, VIDL will begin a yearly faculty seed funding program in the digital learning space, which may include development of massive, open, online courses (MOOCs) through COURSERA, but the funding program will go well beyond MOOC creation (e.g., to support open, crowd-sourced textbook creation; data mining of student access to YouTube educational videos; studies of cultural blending among students of MOOCs; preparing virtual world and video material for an on-campus course).
Faculty proposals will be reviewed by a faculty panel using criteria that include:
- identified benefits of project for on-campus education and students;
- identified research opportunities stemming from project;
- identified benefits of project to region, nation, and/or world;
- identified relationships of project to other Vanderbilt stakeholders, including alums, online programs, …
- faculty commitment and availability for project, evidenced by letters of support (for example), from chairs and deans (for course release and/or other support), industry, etc
These are all factors to be considered in selecting digital learning projects for seed support, but proposals will vary in their strengths along each.
For more details and the application form, see the Digital Learning Innovation Program Call for Proposals for 2014.
Awards for 2014-2015
Our America Digital Learning Lab
- Ifeoma Nwankwo (PD); English, also affiliated to other departments in A&S and Peabody
Building Modular Courses in Global Health Informatics
- Stephany Duda (PD) and Cindy Gadd; Biomedical Informatics
- Douglas Heimburger and Marie Martin; Vanderbilt Institute for Global Health
- Marie Griffin; Public Health Program
Deploying Collaborative Technology to Expand and Enhance Learning
- Nunzia Guise; Biomedical Informatics and Eskind Biomedical Library
- Rachel Walden (PD); Eskind Biomedical Library
Midwifery Skills Through a New Lens
- Julia Phillipi (PD), Margaret Buxton, Michelle Collins, Sharon Holley, Linda Hughlett,
Tonia Moore-Davis, Jeremy Neil, and Deanna Pilkenton; Nursing