“JIT” is an acronym for Just-In-Time and refers to the application timeframe requiring applicants to send information to the NIH only if an award is likely. This process decreases the administrative burden for the 75%-80% of the applications that will not receive funding and provides NIH with the most current information “just-in-time” for award. JIT information includes up-to-date Other Support, IACUC, IRB, and Human Subjects Education Documentation. When “JIT” is posted in the “Action” column of your NIH eRA Commons account, it signifies that your application has completed the peer review process and has received a rank for which funding may be possible. For additional information, view a standard NIH request for JIT information at http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/peer/jit.pdf.
- NIH now makes the JIT link available for all projects that receive a peer review impact score of 40 or less regardless of the Institute’s pay line.
- The automated email PI’s receive is sent immediately after the peer review phase.
- This email is sent sometimes 8 months in advance of the expected start date.
NIH recommends Institutions submit JIT 60 to 90 days in advance of the expected start date. This recommendation is because NIH understands key personnel’s other support can (and most likely will) change between the time the JIT link becomes available and the time NIH begins its JIT review (which is 60 to 45 days prior to the start date)
Because of the vast number of JIT requests our investigators receive, Vanderbilt has adopted NIH’s recommended JIT submission timing.
For more information regarding NIH’s JIT process please visit: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-12-101.html
- Log on to eRA Commons at https://commons.era.nih.gov/commons/
- Click on the “Status” at the top and select “Just In Time” on the left
- Search by Grant number, PI name etc.
- Click on the “JIT” link under the “Action” column
Import or enter the required information:
- Import in PDF the Other Support information
- Enter IACUC approval date
- IRB approval date if applicable
- Enter Human Subjects Education date(s)
- Press the SAVE button
- Click “View Just In Time Report” to make sure everything looks as intended
- Department Administrator should review for accuracy
- Department Administrator needs to inform OSP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org that the JIT is ready on eRA Commons and also include IACUC and IRB approvals, as applicable.
Note: eRA Commons does not send emails to OSP informing us that a JIT is awaiting our approval.
- Log the JIT request in PEER
- Review JIT Report from eRA Commons and verify information
- If changes are needed OSP will contact Department Administrator, so that the PI (or designee) can update and save information on eRA Commons
- Department Administrator needs to contact OSP after changes are made
- When no changes are needed, OSP will submit
- OSP will receive email confirmation from eRA Commons and forward to the Department Administrator