FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATION OF RESEARCH
- Determines financial charges that are allocable to the sponsored project.
- Attests to the allowability and reasonableness of all expenditures
- Initiates hiring/assignment of personnel working on the sponsored
- Responsible for the completion, accuracy and timeliness of all technical
- Initiates and approves subcontract agreements and payments.
- Participates with the Departmental/Center Financial Administrative
Officer in the process of documenting cost sharing/matching costs.
- Initiates requests for rebudgeting of costs on the project.
- Initiates and proposes resolution of any cost overrun occurring on
- Reviews and approves interim financial reports prepared by OCGA/Department
of Finance, Academic and Research Enterprise.
- Identifies and allocates any program income (such as revenue from
sales and services of goods developed in conjunction with a sponsored
- Ensures compliance with all applicable financial regulations by project
personnel and reports instances of non-compliance to the appropriate
FINANCIAL ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
CHAIR OR CENTER DIRECTOR
- Maintains local oversight for the allowability and reasonableness
of all project expenditures.
- Oversees all rebudgeting activities on sponsored projects.
- Provides oversight on all aspects of program income.
- Provides oversight on the implementation of University and federal
financial policies and regulations at the unit level.
- Ensures financial compliance with applicable regulations for sponsored
projects within department/center and reports instances of noncompliance
to the appropriate Compliance Officer.
OFFICE (OR DESIGNEE)
- Approves source of cost sharing/matching funds.
- Provides local oversight for federal costing regulations issues such
as correct identification of costs as direct or indirect costs.
- Identifies funds to cover project cost overruns.
- Provides guidance in sponsored project matters that cannot be resolved
at the department level.
- Promotes University Compliance Program regarding research grants management.
- Investigates instances of financial noncompliance and reports discovered
instances of noncompliance to the University Compliance Officer.
- Informs the University community about the Standards of Conduct and
ethical obligations under the Compliance Program.
- Monitors compliance activities, including policies and procedures,
and training and education programs.
- Serves as a resource to the University on matters of compliance.
- Maintains a help line for compliance matters.
- Promotes University Compliance Program.
- Oversees policy formulation in the following areas.
- Matters relating to direct and indirect charging on sponsored projects.
- Effort reporting on sponsored projects.
- Cost sharing.
- Rebudgeting on sponsored projects.
- Recording and disposing of program income.
- Cost transfers.
- Record retention.
- Works with others in instances of financial noncompliance to resolve.
- Provides information, analyses, and counsel to assist management in
ethically, effectively and efficiently fulfilling their management responsibilities.
- Examines, evaluates and reports on the adequacy and reliability of
existing internal controls.
- Recommends, as necessary, actions to improve; automated and manual
systems of processing revenues and expenses, financial reporting, compliance
with laws, regulations and internally developed polices and procedures
and the safeguarding of assets.
OF SPONSORED RESEARCH (UNIVERSITY CENTRAL)/OFFICE OF RESEARCH (VUMC)
- Proposes policies and procedures to senior administration to comply
with grants management regulations.
- Administers sponsored programs (budgetary actions, liaison with sponsor).
- Shares responsibility for training of researchers and staff in preparation
of grant/contract applications and in management of sponsored research.
- Coordinates with various compliance offices to assure that specific
proposals and projects have been reviewed and approved for compliance.
- Responsible as authorized official for certifying that institution
is in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Responsible for implementing and interpreting sponsor and VU policies
and procedures for compliance with applicable regulations.
- Shares responsibility with OCGA and Department of Finance, Academic
and Research Enterprise for formulation, implementation, and interpretation
of policies regarding allowable costs and for training researchers and
staff on proposing and expending allowable costs.
OF CONTRACT AND GRANT ACCOUNTING (UNIVERSITY CENTRAL)/DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE,
ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH ENTERPRISE (VUMC)
- Shares responsibility with DSR and Office of Research for formulation,
implementation, and interpretation of policies regarding allowable costs
and for training researchers and staff on proposing and expending allowable
- Prepares invoices and letter of credit draws to sponsors on a timely
- Prepares quarterly financial reports for federal agencies as required.
- Prepares interim and final financial reports in coordination with
- Pre-audits certain financial transactions to ensure compliance with
- Performs risk analysis for certain categories of expenditures to ensure
compliance with applicable regulations.
- Identifies reportability of program income.
- Monitors levels of program income.
- Provides institutional oversight on cost transfers.
- Processes payments of approved subcontractor invoices.
- Approves or recommends approval of, carry forward of unexpended funds.
- Resolves payment problems with sponsors, in conjunction with the Division
of Sponsored Research/Biomedical Sciences.
- Prepares, negotiates and administers the institution's indirect cost
and fringe benefit rates in conjunction with the Department of Finance
and other university departments.
- Assists departments in the proper development and administration of
service center rates.
- Provides training as it pertains to the financial administration of
sponsored projects to different constituencies.
- Provides oversight regarding financial compliance.
- Works with Compliance Officer and others to resolve instances of discovered