Skip to Content

Home > Foreign Visitors and Travel

Foreign Visitors and Travel

Foreign National Visitor

When you are expecting a foreign visitor (colleagues, students, etc.) at your department, office, lab, etc., as general guidance, it is important to take into consideration what country they originate from, where they will be going while at Vanderbilt, what research they will have access to, and what type of technology or information they will have access to during their visit.

For example,

    • Is the individual an employee of a foreign owned company, a subsidiary, or US branch of a foreign company?
    • Is the research or any of the associated technology proprietary in nature?
    • Is the research or any of the associated technology, lab equipment, etc. export controlled?
    • Is the country the individual from a  sanctioned country , etc.?
    • Is the individual, funding entity or organization they represent  listed on any of the  denied parties lists ?

Please use the document below to assist with the export compliance analysis.  Email the completed document to for review 10 business days prior to the foreign national's visit. 

Foreign Visitor Best Practices

  • Advise, in advance, all areas and individuals affected by this visitor to ensure information, items, area, etc. are secured appropriately. Some situations may require a license from the federal government before a visitor may see a lab, research results, etc.
  • Run a denied party list screen on visiting individuals and organizations, and the entity funding the visitor using ListVUe.  Please keep the search results for five years from the last date of activity regarding the visit.  For assistance using ListVUe, please email
  • In preparation for a foreign national's visit to Vanderbilt, contact the International Tax Office (ITO) for assistance. ITO will provide a questionnaire for the visitor to complete.  Please allow sufficient time for processing. Click here to view the questionnaire or you may contact ITO at

International Travel Documentation

Please email the following questionnaires to for review 10 business days prior to your international travel.  For more information regarding these forms, see the Best Practices sections below.

International Travel Best Practices

If you do not need it, do not take it with you!

  • Laptops, tablets, cellphones, and other electronic devices:
  • Take a 'clean laptop' and a 'burner cell phone': these devices do not include export-restricted hardware, software, data or information (such as VPN software).
  • If a 'clean laptop' is not an option, it is recommended that a  temporary export certification be completed and have copies made for project documentation and personal keeping.
  • Wi-Fi networks are not always secure: safeguard your personal, sensitive, export-controlled, and proprietary information.
  • VEC will assist in analyzing software and hardware on devices to help ensure the item(s) are within export compliance guidelines.
  • Procure item(s) and resources needed for U.S.-sponsored projects within the destination country.
  • Imports:  International  customs broker  service:  Emily Ashworth at  V.Alexander
  • Review protocol to ensure information, items, area, etc. are secured appropriately.
  • Do not take or access your unpublished research, proprietary information, and/or technical data.
  • Once outside of or upon your re-entry to the U.S., your laptop or other items may be subject to search or it may be seized without probable cause, suspicion, or warrant.

International Travel Resources

For more information about booking and managing travel, please visit the following websites: