Home > Foreign National Visitors
Foreign National Visitors
Foreign National Visitor Documentation
When you are expecting a foreign visitor (colleagues, students, etc.) at your department, office, lab, etc., as general guidance, it is important to take into consideration what country they originate from, where they will be going while at Vanderbilt, what research they will have access to, and what type of technology or information they will have access to during their visit.
- Is the research or any of the associated technology, lab equipment, etc. export controlled?
- Is the research or any of the associated technology proprietary in nature?
- Is the country the individual from a sanctioned country, etc.?
- Is the individual an employee of a foreign owned company, a subsidiary, or US branch of a foreign company?
- Is the individual, funding entity or organization they represent listed on any of the denied parties lists?
Please use the document below to assist with the export compliance analysis. Email the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org for review 10 business days prior to the foreign national's visit.
Keep a copy of the completed documents for five years past the last date of the visit.
A best practice would be to advise, in advance, all areas and individuals affected by this visitor to ensure information, items, area, etc. are secured appropriately. Some situations may require a license from the federal government before a visitor may see a lab, research results, etc.
Run a denied party list screen on visiting individuals and organizations, and the entity funding the visitor using ListVUe. Please keep the search results for five years from the last date of activity regarding the visit. For assistance using ListVUe, please email email@example.com.
In preparation for a foreign national's visit to Vanderbilt, contact the International Tax Office (ITO) for assistance. ITO will provide a questionnaire for the visitor to complete. Please allow sufficient time for processing. Click here to view the questionnaire or you may contact ITO at firstname.lastname@example.org.