Export Compliance > Countries
Certain organizations and individuals are subject to sanctions, embargoes, and other restrictions under U.S. law. Before you transact with any person or organization, use the screening tool at http://apps.export.gov/csl-search to ensure they are not a blocked or sanctioned entity.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions on screening or if the person ororganization searched is listed as a restricted party.
Countries of Concern
The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is responsible for enforcing all U.S.embargoes and sanction programs. Depending on each country’s embargo or sanction program, different activities may or may not be prohibited without a specific government authorization or license.
For information on controls for all countries, see the Commerce Country Chart published by the Bureau of Industry and Security. For information on foreign nationals, vessels, or other entities, use the OFAC Sanctions List Search resource published by the Department of the Treasury.
The OFAC sanction programs can be generalized into three categories:
- “Comprehensive” – ALL interactions and activities are prohibited, including exporting to, importing from, financial transactions of any kind, and/or providing services of any kind. While essentially all interactions with comprehensively sanctioned countries are prohibited, there is an exception for informational materials that allows certain transactions to occur.
- “Limited” – Under limited sanctions programs only some activities (e.g., importation of items) are prohibited.
- “Regime or List-Based” – Regime or List-Based sanctions are targeted against specific individuals identified by the Treasury Department and referred to as Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs) or are targeted against specific groups of people usually associated with a governmental body or regime.
For an updated list of currently sanctioned countries and programs see the OFAC Sanctions Programs and Country Information.
For information on controls and reasons for the controls for each country, see the Commerce Country Chart published by the Bureau of Industry and Security.
Department of the Treasury
- Consolidated Sanctions List
- Sectoral Sanctions Identifications List
- Foreign Sanctions Evaders List
- Non-SDN Palestinian Legislative Council List
- Non SDN Iranian Sanctions List
- The List of Foreign Financial Institutions Subject to Part 561 (the "Part 561 List")
- List of Persons Identified as Blocked Solely Pursuant to Executive Order 13599 (the 13599 List)