Skip to Content

Office of the Vice Provost for Research
Research Integrity Program
Vanderbilt Export Compliance


Vanderbilt University is a center for scholarly research, informed and creative teaching, and service to the  community and society at large.

As a leading academic institution on the forefront of technological development and academic research, Vanderbilt University educates and conducts research in accordance with the export control laws, regulations, and sanctions of the United States.

The Vanderbilt Export Compliance (VEC) office is dedicated to providing assistance and centralized  resources for all Vanderbilt export control-related activities. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an export? [-] [+]

Any oral, written, electronic, or visual disclosure, shipment, transfer or transmission of any commodity, technology (information, technical data, assistance) or software code

  • Outside the U.S. to anyone, including U.S. citizens
  • To a non-U.S. entity or individual, wherever they are located

What is export control? [-] [+]

Export control laws are U.S. laws that regulate the distribution of strategically important products, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries for reasons of foreign policy, economic objectives and national security.

Who oversees export control regulations? [-] [+]

For  a summary of  export control  regulations , click  here .

Who is responsible for export compliance? [-] [+]

Every  individual  conducting or participating in research  is responsible and  will be  held accountable for  exporting information and items  within or outside of the US. Penalties for non-compliance are severe a nd can result in monetary fines and  jail time, as well as termination.

What do I need to know? [-] [+]

It is important that Vanderbilt faculty and staff are aware of export controls and how they may affect their work. The  Export Compliance Review Flow  Chart  may be used as a tool in this analysis. Please visit our website for updated federal regulations, news, and training information. Export compliance is constantly evolving; expect changes in export controls. The constant change points to the importance of reviewing  work and related information or items independently of previous or current work being conducted at Vanderbilt to understand whether or not it is controlled.

When should I contact VEC? [-] [+]

You should contact VEC when:  

  • There are  export control concerns, questions or issues related to your Vanderbilt University  duties and responsibilities.  
  • Equipment, software, samples or technical data will be temporarily or perman ently exported from the U.S.   
  • Work involves use of  prototypes, software, samples or technical data; particularly if supplied by the sponsor or third party.
  • ITAR controlled equipment, software, samples or technical data may be used or generated in the conduct  of the proposed activities.  
  • Any work or communication with an individual from or entities affiliated with North Korea, Iran,  Cuba, Syria,  or Sudan  
  • Any party, such as an individual, company or other organization, to the proposal, award or other agreement is a foreign military or a party acting on behalf of a foreign military.
  • A sponsor, collaborator, or other party asks you to exclude or restrict the participation of foreign nationals; tells you that the information, materials, software, equipment, etc. are subject to export controls;  or  requests   you not to publish or discuss your res ults without prior approval.   
  • Results  of research or development have an obvious military use or purpose.

Can I take my Vanderbilt-owned laptop, PDA, or other electronic device on foreign trips? [-] [+]

Vanderbilt-owned electronic devices, such as commercially available laptop computers, PDAs, smart phones, etc., may be taken out of the U.S. for use during university approved trips. Such temporary exports are permitted through an exception to the Export Administration Regulations. The traveler should complete a temporary export certification (TMP) prior to travel and carry a copy of the TMP certification with them on the trip. The TMP exception is not available for trips to Iran, Sudan, Syria, North Korea or Cuba.   

This exception includes standard operating systems and mass market software. All other types of proprietary or export controlled technology and technical data must be removed prior to international travel and evaluated separately to determine if a license is required or if a valid exception exists for your intended destinations.

Do export controls apply even when no publication or citizenship restrictions are associated with my research?

Can classes or courses be subject to export controls?

How long does it take to get an export license?

I purchase equipment and supplies for faculty member in my department, is there anything I should do to help prevent possible export control violations?

Where else can I find export control guidance?


Recent News