Consulting, Management (Leadership Training Programs) & Human Resources
The Consulting, Management (Leadership Training Programs) and Human Resources industry cluster is the group of industries primarily associated with the organization, operation and administration of businesses. From sports to management, if a job involves human factors and facilitating business outcomes, then you will likely find it in one of these industries:
- Management (Leadership Training Programs)
- Human Resources
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Restaurant Management
Interested in receiving opportunities and information concerning these industries? Sign up to receive our listserv emails for this cluster!
Resume & Cover Letter Samples
Preparing for Case Interviews
It's important to prepare in advance for your consulting case interview. Here are a few online resources to assist in your preparation.
- Bain & Co Interview Preparation
- CQ Interactive Case Questions
- Deloitte Preparing for the Case Interview
- McKinsey & Company Interview Prep and Practice Cases
- Oliver Wyman Practice Case Studies
- The Boston Consulting Group Practice Interview Cases
- Victor Cheng's Case Interview
Books, Magazines & Websites
- Case and Point by Marc Cosentino
- Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting by Victor Cheng
- Management Consulted & The Consulting Interview Bible by Jenny Rae Le Roux & Kevin Gao
Magazines (print and online):
Vault guides are available free of charge to current Vanderbilt students. Visit our Online Resources page for additional sources of information.
Each September, our office hosts the Business & Consulting Career Fair. This event attracts more than 35 different employers who are actively seeking candidates for their open full-time and internship positions. More information including the list of participating companies can be found in DoreWays beginning in August.
Related Student Groups
The student organizations listed below offer great ways to meet fellow students who share a common interest, and to prepare yourself for future positions in these industries.
Alpha Kappa Psi - The Business Fraternity
Alpha Kappa Psi was founded in 1904 on the principles of educating its members and the public to appreciate and demand higher ideals in business and to further the individual welfare of members during college and beyond. Much more than just another organization or club, Alpha Kappa Psi is a unique, prestigious association of students, professors, graduates and professionals with common interests and goals. They join Alpha Kappa Psi to take advantage of valuable educational, friendship and networking opportunities.
Vanderbilt University's Omega Nu Chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi is a co-educational business fraternity founded in 2006 with the goal of shaping people and shaping business. Visit the AKPSI website or email email@example.com to learn more.
Students Consulting for Nonprofit Organizations (SCNO)
The Vanderbilt chapter of Students Consulting for Nonprofit Organizations is committed to providing high-quality and professional pro-bono consulting services for a variety of non-profit organizations and social enterprises in the Nashville community. Through our efforts, we hope to enhance the effectiveness of these organizations to allow them to best serve the needs of their target population.
Vanderbilt Undergraduate Consulting Club (VUCC)
Vanderbilt Undergraduate Consulting Club fosters deep relationships with consulting firms and organizations with consulting positions, equip club members with the necessary knowledge, skills and opportunities to explore a career in consulting.
Vanderbilt Society for Human Resources Management (Vandy SHRM)
The Vanderbilt chapter of the Society for Human Resources Management is a resource for students interested in careers within human resources management. For more information, visit the Vandy SHRM website.
What do I do next?
Here are some things you can do to start preparing yourself for positions in business, consulting or HR:
- Meet with a staff member during our walk-in hours to discuss your career goals.
- Begin creating and refining your resume and cover letter using Optimal and the sample resumes and cover letters on this site.
- Begin looking at job and internship postings in DoreWays.
- Sign up for the Business-Consulting and other Industry Cluster Listservs.
- Attend workshops and networking events hosted by the Center. Visit DoreWays to see current events.
- Review where other VU students have had past summer internships on the My Internship Database .
- Visit or join one of the Student Groups.